Looking for something to spice up your summer – while still keeping it cool? A cold brew cocktail’s exactly what you need. And luckily for you, cold brew is exactly what I specialize in. Let me share with you four of my favourite drinks that you can also make at home.
Spanish Version: 4 Cockteles Cold Brew Perfectos para el Verano
Cold brew: a surprisingly versatile drink.
1. Coco Moon
Feeling sleepy? You won’t be for much longer. This drink’s a double whammy: the cold brew gives you a dose of desperately needed caffeine, while the coconut water revitalizes you with antioxidants. Take that, Monday mornings!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Mint (optional, but highly recommended)
- 100 ml coconut water
- 50 ml cold brew – try using Kenyan beans, such as Kiganjo, for a bright, fruity flavor
Coco Moon is the drink of choice when you need a pick-me-up.
2. Cold Brew Tonic
A bubbly classic that’s perfect as either a mocktail or a cocktail. Drink it in the morning as it is but, come evening, add a dash of gin and you’re ready to party. (Want to make this with an espresso instead of a cold brew? You’ll find the recipe here.)
- One grapefruit wedge
- 100 ml tonic water
- 50 ml cold brew – try a washed Ethiopian; the herbal notes and the light, zesty tea aromas are a great combination
The Cold Brew Tonic: summer in a cup.
3. Skinny Frappe
This silky smooth drink will satisfy all of your cravings. Creamy, sweet, and yet surprisingly low on sugar (well, compared to what you’ll get at a chain coffee shop), it’s the perfect way to indulge on those sticky summer days.
Although this is a milk-free option, you’ll want to put all the ingredients in a milkshake machine or electric milk frother to create the ideal microfoam. Here’s what you need to use:
- 2 tsp brown sugar syrup (check out the recipe for that here)
- 100 ml cold brew – opt for the sweetest coffee you have; a natural Ethiopian is perfect for this
The Skinny Frappe: heaven in a bottle.
4. Midnight Hour Rum Sour
A classy after dinner drink, this alcoholic coffee is sweet with a hint of sourness. Shake all the ingredients well on ice, pour into a tumbler, and serve. Oh, and get ready to be making this all night because it’s going to be popular.
You’ll need to use:
- Lemon zest
- 5 cl dark rum
- 1 cl freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cl brown sugar syrup (the recipe’s here)
- 2cl cold brew – anything goes here; why not experiment with different profiles?
Midnight Hour Rum Sour. Your night will be as exciting as it sounds.
Written by S. König, Co-founder and Coffee Consultant at Good Spirits Beverages, Berlin.
Perfect Daily Grind